About Our Church
Bridgeport Christian Church was established in November 1846 by a group of men and women living in the village of Bridgeport and vicinity. The charter was signed by 26 families, some still having descendants in the church today. The church rose out of the religious turmoil of the times, the congregation split from the South Benson Baptist Church. The land for the new church site was donated by Mary Bailey Jenkins, who was one of the charter members of the church. The lumber used to build the original church was donated by the South Benson Baptist congregation. In 1913, a second building was erected on the same foundation, using some of the same lumber.
On April 8, 1948, lightning struck BCC, and the building burned to the ground. A pledge drive was initiated to rebuild BCC by the church with individuals outside the church membership and area churches adding their contributions to the congregation's efforts. On May 22, 1949, a dedication service was held for the new building. Additions to the building were built in 1965, 1972, 1978, and 1988. A new steeple was added in 1996 to commemorate the church's 150th anniversary.
Bridgeport Christian Church has been served by more than 50 ministers in its long history. In the 20th century, long terms of service were given by Darrell Norwood and Philip W. Case. In December 2001, BCC called its first full-time pastor, Tom Wilkins. Keith McAliley served BCC from August 2005-January 2019. Rev. Ann Shepherd was called as pastor in the fall of 2019 and began her service in January 2020.
Bridgeport Christian Church is a cornerstone in the Bridgeport Community of Frankfort, KY and has been since 1846. Everyone is welcome to come and join us for our worship and events. We are an open & affirming congregation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a Green Chalice Congregation. Celebrating 175 years of ministry in November of 2021, we continue to strive to serve others in the name of God, the love of Jesus, and the power of the Holy Spirit. We do everything we can to let everyone know that they are both loved and accepted by God, and us, exactly the way they are.
Disciples of Christ Church
Bridgeport Christian Church is a congregation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination was born in Kentucky in 1832 when two preachers, Barton Stone and Alexander Campbell, decided to join forces to start a non-denominational movement. They had both been Presbyterians, but had grown weary of all the different denominations of the Church. Stone wanted a church that simply called itself "Christians." Campbell hoped that they could be simply "disciples of Christ." They couldn't really agree on the name, which eventually became The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), but they did agree that Christian unity should be of prime importance for the new movement.
Here are some of the basics of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ):
We celebrate the Lord's Supper every week, and we invite everybody to partake, no matter what sort of believer you are. Jesus invites everybody, and we aren't about to get in His way.
We make our own decisions as a congregation without interference from outside authorities.
We all affirm that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. After that, each member is free to believe according to her or his conscience.
We recognize that Christian unity is something God gives us, not something we have to work for. We like to get together with congregations in other denominations and celebrate that Jesus somehow makes us all one, despite our differences.
For a more scholarly summary of our denomination's history, click here.
General Church - Disciples of Christ
Regional Church - Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Kentucky